Monday, December 22, 2008

Chris Garneau and Friends

Last night, I went to The Bell House in Brooklyn, a beautiful venue in Gowanis, to see Chris Garneau play. If you haven't yet heard of him, you are missing out on some of the best music EVER. I was introduced to Chris' music through Guy, who was itching to share his music with someone. Chris' sound is often described as folk, Americana, pop, baroque, and carnival music. (or so it says on wikipedia) I feel that's a pretty accurate description, but for me, it's his haunting voice that really hooks me. He has a rich, soulful voice and all of his songs are beautifully composed with his amazing piano playing, string instruments, etc. His first album, Music for Tourists, is definitely one of my all-time favorite albums. Some of my favorites are: Not Nice, So Far, and Castle-time.

He is also GREAT live. My first show was almost exactly a year ago at a venue in Brooklyn and one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen. He played a few songs by himself on his Wurlitzer and then invited several friends on his stage to play several songs with him. His stage presence is funny and witty and it looked like they were all having a great time up there. He had also just released his EP, C-Sides, so he played a few songs from that as well, including Black Out, which is another one of my favorites.

Chris is back from his European tour and literally JUST finished recording his next album, so check out a show if you can! You won't be disappointed!

There were five other artists who also played that night, but one in particular, Tim Williams, was really good. You can hear his music on myspace as well.

I think that's it's for now! Happy Listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment