Monday, December 22, 2008

Doughnut Plant x 2

My roommate, Fanta, and I very much enjoy food, so we started a list of delicious restaurants/bakeries we'd like to go to in the next year. On the list includes places like: The Shake Shack (check!), S'MAC, and Nolita House.

We decided to go to Doughnut Plant in the Lower East Side on Grand Street on Saturday afternoon. What's so great about their doughnuts is that they're made with all natural ingredients and has no trans fat, preservatives, artificial flavors or eggs (???). I'm not entirely sure why having no eggs in the doughtnuts is a draw, but it's highlighted on their website, so I thought I'd share that with all of you, too. Anyway, in addition to all of those wonderfully healthy qualities, the doughnuts themselves are DElicious! They have unique flavors such as gingerbread and marzipan flavored cake doughnuts and filled doughnuts like peanut butter glaze and cranberry jelly. Yummers...

Upon entering the nondescript building, you're immediately hit with the smell of fresh-baked doughnuts, which is possibly the best smell on earth. There's a small register and the doughnuts are simply and clearly displayed on the counter. There are some benches decorated with interesting doughnut shapes in different colors along the windows that aren't particularly comfortable, but cute to look at. I picked the Valrhona Chocolate doughnut, which is a plain cake doughtnut with a thick chocolate glaze, and Fanta had a Coconut Glaze Coconut Cream doughnut, which is obviously a filled doughnut. Both were divine and very fresh tasting! It also wasn't sickeningly sweet - another plus.

I told my friend, Guy, about this delicious discovery, and he was rightfully intrigued. So back I went on Sunday afternoon for my second round of doughnut-y goodness. This time, I went with the Vanilla Bean glaze doughnut, which was simple yet full of flavor and Guy came back with not one, not two, but three doughtnuts to share! I love that man. He picked the Black Out doughnut, which is a chocolate cake doughnut with chocolate pudding on the inside and chocolate crumbs on top, the Pomegranate doughnut, which is a plain cake doughnut with a pomegranate glaze (a wonderful shade of pink) and pomegranate seeds on top, and the Coconut Glaze Coconut Cream doughnut, which was the same one that Fanta got the other day. I can't choose which one I loved best, but the Coconut Glaze Coconut Cream was the biggest doughnut I've ever seen in my life, so I guess, automatically, it was the best and most impressive. I highly recommend stopping by if you're in the neighborhood!

On a funny side note, the other night, I fell into a huge puddle that must have been at least 4 feet deep, I kid you not. One and a half drinks, high heels, darkness, and huge unsuspecting icebergs floating in ice water right off of a curb = bad news.

2 comments:

  1. I've been dying to go to Planet Doughnut ever since he took down Bobby Flay in the Doughnut Throwdown...hmmm...might have to hit it up in early January - yum!!! - PINK

    ReplyDelete
  2. the plant was featured on the travel channel this week...I think my dad is coming to visit

    ReplyDelete