Sunday, February 1, 2009

Raj Mahal

Last week, my friends and I went to Raj Mahal, a fabulous Indian restaurant in the East Village, to celebrate our friends' wedding. If you're not familiar with Curry Row (East 6th Street between 1st and 2nd Ave.) you're missing out! It's a little stretch of Indian restaurants (authentic as far as this Japanese girl can tell) and what's unique about it is they have people outside trying to lure you in.

Last year, Star and I were craving Indian food and were in the general area, so we popped into Raj Mahal for a quick bite. There was live music and the waiters there were extremely nice. As far as the decor goes, they had very eclectic prints pinned on the wall a bit haphazardly (pics of cupids, outdoor market scenes) and of course, a string of chili lights. Question mark?

Star happened to run into an old co-worker of hers and he informed us that we need to ask for the dinner special. Did we ever! When you sit down, they hand you a regular menu with every type of Indian food you can imagine, but the secret is to ask for the dinner special menu where you can get a soda, soup, nan, appetizer (ie: samosas), your main dish (curries, kormas), rice, dessert, and coffee or tea (although I have yet to be offered tea or coffee) for $10!!! AND it's BYOB.

I've been several times and I strongly recommend getting vegetable samosas and some type of curry - although everything I've had there has been very good. When I went last week, the waiters were especially kind and accommodating and didn't rush out our party of six at all! (hello, recession!).

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, I totally want to check Raj Mahal out! Nothing better than great Indian food + BYO wine :)

    ReplyDelete