Sunday, March 29, 2009

Nook

My friend Smiles introduced me to a lovely little brunch place on Restaurant Row a few weeks ago. On various websites, the food is described as "eclectic and international" but their brunch fare is...regular brunch stuff. Albeit, delicious brunch stuff.

I've only been on Saturdays but the first time Smiles and I went, we waited about 15 minutes for a seat and once we were seated and had ordered, it took close to 45 minutes to get our food. It's a tiny holy in the wall with seating for about 20. The waiter seemed frazzled and Smiles claims that the brunch was awful only because the waiter kept telling our table neighbor that his girlfriend was beautiful, while totally ignoring us. Ah well. That day, we both ordered quiches that came with a side salad, and it was delicious and delightfully light. Definitely not one of those heavy quiches, even though I vaguely recall mine may have had cheese... (note to self - blogging a few weeks after the fact is never helpful to anyone). The waiter did, however, give us our coffees for free since we had waited so long (and because clearly, we were hideous...?) The bill came out to be just a little less than $20, I believe, so that combined with the lovely company made the poor service worth it.

Yesterday, Smiles and I were joined by a former co-worker and this time, I ordered an egg scramble with spinach, goat cheese, and tomatoes which came with "the house home fries" and a small salad. I was hoping there would be more spinach in it, but it was again, delightfully light and seasoned just right. I can't really figure out what the home fries are made of because they're an orange-y color but they're not as sweet as sweet potatoes... perhaps I should have asked. Their unsweetened iced tea was a bit watery, though, but that's really my only complaint. The service was wonderful and for a table of three, we only waited 10-15 minutes, and never felt rushed.

Anyway, if it's a nice day and you don't mind waiting for about 15 minutes outside, I highly recommend Nook, which is on 746 9th Avenue between 50th and 51st Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment