Friday, April 24, 2009

Popover Cafe


I met one of my Explo friends for dinner on Friday at one of my favorite brunch places, Popover Cafe, on 86th and Amsterdam. I ate here frequently in college and it's always worth the trip back up there.

What's wonderful about this place is that the salads are ALWAYS fresh and they use organic, cage-free chicken, so you can feel good about what you're eating. Also, their brunch menu is vast and most come with a popover, which is a puffed up egg-y roll that is hollow inside. This is what it looks like:


It comes with a delicious strawberry butter and is always warm inside. Yum! So this is what I started with... Because I was running a race the next morning, I wanted to make sure I had some carbs but I was more in the mood for vegetables, so I ordered the "Kathleen's Vegetarian Avocado Melt" which had avocado, mushroom, tomato, watercress, melted gruyere and russian dressing on whole grain bread with a side of pasta salad (yay carbs!).


As you can see, it was a very colorful sandwich with the perfect combination of fresh veggies. It was DELICIOUS, but if I had just one complaint, it would be that I wished the mushrooms would have been cooked a bit because the texture didn't seem to jive with the rest of the ooey gooey sandwich. It also kept spilling out of my sandwich, which was not attractive. However, overall, it was definitely worth it!

1 comment:

  1. I've only ever been there for breakfast - but that sandwich sounds delicious - might have to go back!!!

    ReplyDelete