Sunday, May 31, 2009

Japan Day

On Sunday, a bunch of my friends and I ran in the Japan Day 4 mile race in Central Park. It was a gorgeous sunny morning and just perfect for a nice run. While my last 4 mile race wasn't the most fun run I've ever had, I had high hopes for this one. Mostly because I was running with a friend and we encouraged each other throughout the 4 miles. It makes such a difference!

Although I will say, EVERY time I run in a race, I honestly convince myself that they forgot to put the 3rd mile marker up (or in the case of my 5Ks, the 2nd mile). Amazing how the brain does that...

Anyway, this is the t-shirt we got:


What was great about this race was that they gave us a little backpack with an energy drink and instant yakisoba with chopsticks. Yum!

And...my mom had come into the city to surprise me at my race! Not only did she come to cheer me on but she brought a delicious homemade lunch that we shared with Star and Doctor. I wish I had my camera with me so I could show you all the lovely lunch she made, but alas, I didn't. But it was a lovely traditional lunch with onigiri (rice balls), tamagoyaki (sweet egg rolls), and fruits and veggies. After Star and I walked my mom to the train, we headed back into Central Park for the Japan Day festivities. We immediately headed towards the food station and had a oolong tea and gyoza (Japanese dumplings). The dumplings were clearly the frozen kind that you saute, but it was still delicious and free! They also had a miso soup line, beef and rice line (which would easily have been a filling lunch) and a noodles line. There was also entertainment with taiko drums, acting, singing, dancing, and other wonderful performers.

It was a beautiful day and a great way to showcase the wonderfulness that is Japan. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment