Sunday, May 10, 2009

Max Brenner


I had always wanted to go to Max Brenner because of my immense love of chocolate, but never had the occasion to do so. With Guy in town and our friends leaving for India soon, it was the perfect opportunity to indulge and visit the one in Union Square. We arrived at 5:00 so there were no lines! Yesssssss!

When you first walk in, you notice the intense, beautiful smell of chocolate. There is no other smell better than the scent of chocolate...don't you agree? They have this gift shop and I noticed a "hug mug" for sale, which looked like an egg-shaped cup with no handles, and you're supposed to put your hot drink in there and hold it with both hands around it and sip. I was intrigued...

So, of course, come ordering time, I just had to have the dark hot chocolate in the "hug mug".


The menu said that it was 100% dark chocolate, but when I asked our waitress what was in it, she said that there was also a good dose of heavy cream in there. I opted against the artery clogging cream, and instead had it with soy milk. When I got it, it was a little too hot to take advantage of the "hug mug", but it was still delicious and chocolate-y. It really wasn't very sweet, which I was surprised about. Surprised but definitely not disappointed.

My friends got Max's Three Layer Chocolate Concoction with Cookies and Peanut Butter, which is "milk chocolate cream layered with Oreo cookie bits in peanut butter and white chocolate chunks topped with whipped cream". It's served with crunchy chocolate wafer balls and a biscotti on the side. And got the Munchies Waffles, which are "warm waffles topped with whipped cream, candied hazelnut crunchy bits and a scoop of dark chocolate and vanilla ice cream". It was served with crunchy chocolate wafer balls and warm melted chocolate sauce. I didn't taste their dishes, but the reviews were fabulous! (Flat Sarah also enjoyed the treats!)


Lastly, Mr. Professor ordered the Chocolate Pizza with Peanut Butter topped with chopped hazelnuts. I had been eyeing this on the menu, so I was VERY glad he got it. Of course, I had to have a bite of this, and it was AMAZING! The crust was doughy and warm and the peanut butter was melting off of it. Yummers! In fact, I loved it so much that for three nights this week, I've had peanut butter toast with melted dark chocolate on it as my dessert. All you do is cut a slice of whole wheat bread (or whatever kind of bread) in half, and place a piece of dark chocolate on one slice of the bread and leave the other as is. Put both pieces in the toaster oven and toast bread as you normally do. After it's done, put peanut butter on the empty piece of toast and smush on top of the other and enjoy! The chocolate is oooey gooey, melty and delicious!


Five stars for Max Brenner!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment