Sunday, May 31, 2009

Movies!!!

This weekend I saw two movies at the theaters. I've been a little out of touch with the movie scene because I don't have a tv and never see movie trailers anymore to entice me. This is usually a good thing because it doesn't tempt me to spend $12.50 on two hours of entertainment, but sometimes I'm in the mood for the movie theater experience. My favorite part is watching previews and eating snacks in the cold theater, waiting for the movie to start. It's also guaranteed you won't think of anything besides watching the movie. I hate multi-tasking so being in the theater is exactly my thing.

Last night I saw Star Trek. I have heard SO many great friend reviews about this movie, and while I'm not a huge science fiction fan, my love of Zachary Quinto was enough to get me to spend some dough on this movie. And who doesn't love JJ Abrams?!


I was really impressed with this movie! It was the perfect balance of good acting (especially Chris Pine), confusing/well-thought out sci-fi plots, good-looking actors, humor, action, and great effects. Chris Pine has really impressive comedic timing and he really nailed the character. I wasn't particularly impressed with the other actors, although Karl Urban has a special place in my heart, as he was in LOTR.

I have absolutely no knowledge of the Star Trek series so I can't say how authentic the movie was, but it's a great movie for people like me. I don't want to give too much away, so I won't really discuss the plot, but I guarantee you will be entertained for the whole two and a half hours or so.

Up next was, Up, which was in 3D. It was a really cute PG movie that was also entertaining for an adult. It's a touching story about an elderly man who promises his late wife that he would take her to Paradise Island in South America, and that they would build a house on the waterfalls there. After she passes, he decides to attach helium balloons to their house and finally go there to fulfill his promise. Just as his house lifts off, there is a knock at his door, and he finds out that a chubby little asian boyscout (voiced by a Japanese boy!) had mistakenly been in the house. They end up on Paradise Island and find themselves entrenched in an adventure.


This was a HILARIOUS and touching movie. Pixar really never goes wrong, although they didn't really take advantage of the 3D element. It could have easily been 2D and it would not have taken away from the movie at all. Because I had never seen a preview for it, I wasn't sure what to expect, but was surprised that a lot of the story was centered around animals. Judging from the movie posters, I thought it would be about these two different-seeming characters being stranded in the sky in a cute little house. Boy was I wrong. But despite it having so many animal characters, I really enjoyed the movie.

The best part of the movie was when Star and I were waiting for the movie to start amidst the gaggle of children and a 6 year old boy turned around in his seat and asked us why we hadn't brought our children and who we had watching them.

Sigh.

I'm getting old...

1 comment:

  1. Great reviews...both movies on Jon & mine's list that we want to see!!!

    ReplyDelete