Friday, May 8, 2009

Red Velvet Cake Bon Bons


For Pink's annual cookie swap this past Christmas, she made these DELICIOUS red velvet cake bon bons and ever since then, I've been dying to try them! She found the recipe on a baking blog called Bakerella and the pictures on the website alone makes even a novice baker want to try her fancy recipes!

Here is my version of the Bakerella formula...

Red Velvet Cake Bon Bons

1 box red velvet cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
1 can cream cheese frosting (16 oz.)
1 package chocolate chips (semi sweet and/or dark)
wax paper

1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl. (I think I should've waited a little bit longer for the cake to completely cool because once I got to the next step, things were getting a little mushy...)

2. Mix thoroughly with 1 can cream cheese frosting. (It may be easier to use fingers to mix together, but be warned it will get messy.)

I know, it doesn't look that appetizing...

3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls and lay on cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50)


4. Chill for several hours. (You can speed this up by putting in the freezer. I put it in the fridge overnight)

5. Melt chocolate in microwave per directions on package. (or put in microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 secs increments to make sure it doesn't burn, otherwise you can use a double boiler)

6. Roll balls in chocolate and lay on wax paper until firm. (Use a spoon or two to dip and roll in chocolate and then tap off extra.)



Sorry for the blurry picture, but I wanted to show
the inside. You get the idea...

A few tips though:
-Pink added Crisco in her melted chocolate to make it a little thinner and easier to coat. I hadn't done this but regretted it quickly when I realized all of the bon bons were eating up my chocolate. And it just didn't coat well either, as you can see from the pictures.
-Instead of putting them in the fridge, after they're all done, put in freezer so that they're a bit firmer. If you refrigerate them or keep them at room temp., it gets a little gooey.

I made these as a going-away gift to my co-workers and I set out the whole batch (about 45) and they were gone in about three hours. To note - there were about 15 people in my office today. :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay - so glad they were yummy!!! Great post chica.

    ReplyDelete