Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Barefoot by Elin Hilderbrand

I had just finished reading some heavy books so I wanted to give my poor brain a break by reading a beach read. I keep a list of books I want to read in a section in my planner and I stumbled upon this book at the library the other day (which was on the list) and picked it up.

This list that I keep in my planner consists of books that people have recommended to me or that got a good review somewhere. Some of the books on the list:

Sunset by Karen Kingsbury
On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan
Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo
Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
The Crimon Petal & the White by Michael Faber (this one Anna Quindlen had recommended!)

I can't tell you what any of these books are about but the review was good enough for me to write down.

All this to say, I have no idea why Barefoot was on my list but by the looks of the cover, I knew it was a perfect "no-brainer".


And boy was I right! It's one of the more depressing books I've ever read and while the writing wasn't as horrendous as I was expecting at first, it was pretty painful to read... It's about two sisters and a friend who spend a summer at a small cottage on the Hamptons. One sister has lung cancer and is going through chemo treatments, the other sister just got fired by the University where she taught for sleeping with a student, and the other just found out that not only is her husband having an affair but she is also preggers. Of course.

And then this 22 year old boy enters their lives and changes them for the better. Blah blah - you get the drift. I definitely DO NOT recommend it.

But let me know if you have any good book recommendations!

2 comments:

  1. If you are looking for a no-brainer fun read I would definitely recommend the Shopaholic series. They are hilarious, light & fun! Or if you like mysteries there is always Mary Higgins Clark, Mary Jane Clark, or Harlan Coben!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to pick up Mary Jane Clark! I will definitely put her in my planner. I haven't read a new Mary Higgins Clark in a while. Thanks for the recommendations!!!

    ReplyDelete