Sunday, June 28, 2009

The High Line

Guy was in town this weekend and he suggested going to the High Line which recently opened here in New York. "The High Line was built in the 1930s, as part of a massive public-private infrastructure project called the West Side Improvement. It lifted freight traffic 30 feet in the air, removing dangerous trains from the streets of Manhattan's largest industrial district. No trains have run on the High Line since 1980. Friends of the High Line, a community-based non-profit group, formed in 1999 when the historic structure was under threat of demolition. Friends of the High Line works in partnership with the City of New York to preserve and maintain the structure as an elevated public park".

So there you have it. I couldn't have said it any better or more concisely.

I took about 40 pictures but for your sake, excluded all my pictures of the vegetation. There were so many different kinds of plants and flowers and many that I've never seen!

Here's what it looks like from street level

The start of the park at Gansevoort

High Line stamp!




The stretch that is currently open to the public was about 10 city blocks, so about...half a mile? It was pretty crowded as it was the first nice day in a while, but it was still really fun to stroll up the park and look at the park itself and vegetation, hang out and people watch, and to see some amazing views of Jersey and the city. I can't wait until the rest of it opens up!

As you can see from the pictures, they have benches, bleachers and lounge chairs where you can sit and relax. If I worked in the area, I would definitely frequent this park during my lunch break and read. The only downside was that there was a bit of a line to enter the park but we probably waited 10 minutes total - maybe not even.

It was a such a cool experience - I definitely recommend it! It's a great date activity and probably gorgeous in the evening (it's open until 10pm).

3 comments:

  1. Wow - the High Line looks gorgeous! I can't wait to check it out for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm adding this to my list of NYC things to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my new favorite NYC places :)

    ReplyDelete