Monday, June 15, 2009

Ikebana

In keeping with this Japanese theme, I thought I would post about an exhibit I recently attended at the Tenri Gallery. One of my donors invited me to see one of her Ikebana arrangements that was on display this past weekend and I gladly accepted!

For those of you unfamiliar with Ikebana, it is essentially the ancient Japanese art of flower arranging that uses cut flowers and other mediums. It's a 500 year old tradition that is still alive and prevalent. In the brochure I picked up at the exhibit, it says that the school of Ikenobo, which is the original school of ikebana, arranges "plants cut and removed from nature so that they are filled with new beauty when placed in a new environment". I didn't bring my camera with me to the exhibit, unfortunately, but I Google-searched some images of Ikebana for you all to enjoy. (almost as good as the real exhibit...but not really at all)

emptyeasel.com


egc2008.eu

www.thedctraveler.com


And here's a terrible, terrible picture of me in Kyoto five years ago (wow, has it really been five years?!) at an Ikebana exhibit. I really liked this arrangement not only for it's simplicity, but also because it's the Shion flower!


1 comment: