Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Kings

As most of you know, I don't own a television, so the little TV I do watch, is limited to what's on Hulu.

I had seen tons of posters about a new show called "Kings" in the subway and I was really intrigued as to what it was about. The poster (which I couldn't find online but it had a guy waving a flag in the sun) kept catching my eye and when I saw it advertised on Hulu, I knew I had to check it out. (I am such a sucker for flashy advertisements!)

The NBC website calls it a "riveting new drama about a modern day monarchy. 'Kings' is a contemporary re-telling of the timeless tale of David and Goliath. This series is an epic story of greed and power, war and romance, forbidden loves and secret alliances -- and a young hero who rises to power in a modern-day kingdom."

I think that says it all. What's great is that it's set in New York City, or the city of Shiloh, as it is in the show, so a lot of the locations are recognizable. For instance, the king's "castle" is the public library on 42nd. The acting is only so-so, but David, played by a young Australian actor, is actually pretty good. And pretty.

The story is obviously rooted in the Bible, so it gets a little religion-heavy sometimes, but I think they handle it in a way that's also entertaining and relevant. It's a predictable show for the most part, but fun to watch. I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment