Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Raw Granola Bars

I read about raw granola bars in one of the food blogs I read, and the recipe was so simple and healthy that I had to try it! I didn't have the right-sized pan (apparently a lot of recipes require a 9x9 pan) so I just multiplied the ingredient list by 1.5.

Here is the recipe. I actually don't read this blog, but one of the other blogs I read referenced it and tweaked it a little, as did I... They're not actually "raw" but they don't require baking, which makes it a great summertime snack to make!

Ingredients:
1/2 c honey
1/4 c coconut oil
1/4 c almond or peanut butter
2 c. rolled oats
1/4 c ground flax
1/4 c pumpkin seeds
1/4 c sunflower seeds
1/4 c sesame seeds
1/4 c unsweetened flaked coconut


Directions:

Heat honey, coconut oil, and almond/peanut butter and stir over low heat in a saucepan.


In a separate bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir very well.

Spread into a 9×9 inch baking dish and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.


Cut into bars and eat immediately! Refrigerate or freeze any uneaten bars.


Note: At room temperature these bars fall apart! They must be refrigerated or frozen and eaten immediately.

I have to say these bars are DELICIOUS!!! They're very nutty and delightful. However, as I was sending the recipe to my co-workers (who all ate a piece of the bar I had brought to work as a snack), I realized that I had gone a little heavy on the coconut oil and peanut butter - which made total sense because I was thinking they looked a little different from the pictures in the original recipe. But the overdose in the "wet" ingredients made the bar more sticky and made it not fall apart as the original ones do. I was tempted to try again with the real recipe, but I ran out of honey AND I found an even better peanut butter treat recipe that I want to try this weekend.

I definitely recommend making these bars. They're chock full of nutrients and will keep you full for a long time. If you're a peanut butter fan, it's a must-try. Also, I'm thinking this will be good fuel for long runs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment