Sunday, June 21, 2009

Tyrone Wells and Better Than Ezra

This weekend, I went to go see Tyrone Wells again, who was opening for Better Than Ezra at Irving Plaza. I've already blogged about him, so I won't say too much, but he is one of the few artists that actually sound BETTER live than on records. He sprinkles his shows with cute little anecdotes, which makes the shows even more fun to be at. He performed from his last couple albums, which I love and you should check out, so it was great to be able to sing along with him.


For now, All Broken Hearts is probably my favorite song of his. His sound can probably be best described as rock, soul, a little pop... kind of Coldplay-ish.

Now then...onto the main show...

I have to say, while I recognize the name "Better Than Ezra", I can't say that I could recall even one song of theirs. I was a little puzzled because the crowd there was definitely "older", as you can see from the thinning hairlines of the people in the audience, so I really didn't know what to expect. But once they came out, it all came together for me, because they were themselves in the "older" category.

But they put on a pretty good show and the lead singer is a great performer. He was really working the audience and also sounded great live. I didn't recognize the songs they played while I was there, but I was definitely into it! I can't say I'll pick up their CD but I would definitely go see them again. Apparently, Eli and Payton Manning were in the audience because they're friends with the band, too. Football players turned groupies. Gotta love it!


1 comment:

  1. I love BTE... they make me think of high school and early college. I can get you a bunch of their music if you want. some of my favorites include... WWOZ, desperately wanting, i do, under you, good, misunderstood... oh memories! I'm glad you enjoyed the show!

    ReplyDelete