Friday, July 17, 2009

(500) Days of Summer


I went to see (500) Days of Summer tonight with some friends and it is a MUST SEE! I think it might be one of my favorite movies...and no...not because my future husband is in it...but because it's actually good!

I laughed hysterically and I also cried (although I may have been the only one in the theater to do so). It's so smart and original and full of surprises!

It's about Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) who is a hopeless romantic and a Summer (Zooey Deschanel) who doesn't believe in love. It chronicles their 500 day relationship in a non-chronological way, which surprisingly did not bother me as most "flashback" sequences do, but instead kept it fresh and exciting. The director tells you up front that it's not a love story but just a story about two people who come together. It's so great because anyone can relate to the scenarios that happen and can look back on them and find humor in the situation. Or at least, one can try...

It's a down-to-earth film with a GREAT song and dance sequence featuring Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Him and Deschanel have such great chemistry and are both amazing great actors. On a hot summer day, it's exactly what you want to be watching.

Definitely worth the $12.

Although I will give you a quick update on my $200 fast - So far I've spent about $20 in the last three days. $10 on groceries and $10 at the bar last night. (Thanks, Emily!) I purchased the discounted movie tickets last month and shared them with my friends, who paid for dinner so tonight was a free night. So far, so good!

2 comments:

  1. It was great! And here is a fun "anatomy" of the funny song and dance scene you mentioned: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/07/16/movies/20090716-500days-feature.html?8dpc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, such a good movie! Readers, go see it!

    ReplyDelete