Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Benny & Joon


There aren't that many good movies on Hulu so imagine my delight when I saw that "Benny & Joon" was available!

I had seen this movie when I was in middle school with my sister and really enjoyed it, even though it may have been a little inappropriate for me to see it at the time. It's a 1993 movie with Aidan Quinn (swoon!), Mary Stuart Masterson, Julianne Moore and Johnny Depp. The movie poster is a little weird and not really representative of the movie.

It's basically about Benny (Aidan Quinn) and his sister June (Mary Stuart Masterson) who is mentally ill. Benny has taken care of her for 12 years, ever since their parents died, and has devoted himself to taking care of her. It's such a sweet and heartbreaking relationship. If you don't already love Aidan Quinn, you will LOVE him after you see this movie.

After losing a poker game, Benny and June have to take in Sam (Johnny Depp) who is very eccentric yet gifted. The siblings' lives are changed forever after he enters the picture as they're now having to redefine their relationship.

It's a sweet, wonderful movie with great acting and one that I would definitely recommend! It was even better the second time around now that I actually understand the nuances.

1 comment:

  1. Funny enough Rachelle & I were just talking about this movie when we were recently recounting all of Johnny Depps movies...this is definitely one I need to see again...I too haven't seen it since years and years ago!

    ReplyDelete