Monday, July 6, 2009

Chicken Salad Couscous and my MAKE creation!

I made the mistake last night of going to Whole Foods while I was famished. I went in to buy almond butter and soy milk and came out with $56 worth of groceries I probably didn't need. Namely - a rotisserie chicken.

????

My friend Eli had made a delicious chicken salad for a picnic in the park and it must have been on my mind, hence the purchasing of a chicken. Now you may think that it's uncharacteristic of the thrifty part in me to buy a rotisserie chicken for $7.99 but I have an unusually irrational fear of eating raw chicken - more than most people. Anyone who has seen me cook or has witnessed me eating chicken knows the ridiculous lengths I go to just to ensure I'm not eating raw poultry. So, for me, the already cooked chicken was worth it.

I got home and wasn't sure what I was going to do with it but I at least shredded it (and checked for pinkness) before going to bed.

Before

After

I was thinking all day at work what I would do with it, besides put it in salads and quesadillas. I thought about making chicken salad - similar to Eli's, but I was definitely all sandwiched-out due to the plethora of tuna salad I made last week. So instead, I decided to put my own spin on it and have couscous be the base instead of putting it between bread.

The only issue with making chicken salad couscous was that I wanted the flavor of the mayo and mustard but thought that it would taste weird if mixed with the couscous. So I ended up just using the mustard and mixing it with the chicken prior to putting it in the couscous. It came out delicious and fresh-tasting and a recipe I will make again! It uses ingredients I had on hand (well, except for the apple and parsley).


Ingredients:
One box of couscous (plain or I used roasted garlic and olive oil flavored couscous)
2 cups shredded chicken (already cooked) (you can use chicken breast that has been grilled, boiled, sauted...etc.)
2 Tablespoons mustard (any kind except probably not honey mustard - I used yellow mustard)
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced granny smith apple
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 cup walnuts

*I ended up not using the celery because it had gone bad, but if I could I would have added 1/2 cup diced celery into the recipe
**If you are using plain couscous, I would add salt and pepper to taste.


Directions:

Cook couscous according to directions on box. You will need 2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter, most likely.

Put shredded chicken into a bowl and add mustard. Mix well so that chicken is coated pretty evenly with the mustard.


Dice red onion, granny smith apple, celery (if you have it), and parsley.


Add all ingredients to the couscous.


Top with chopped walnuts.


I sprinkled the walnuts on top because I didn't want them to get soggy. I don't even know if that's possible but I wanted to take extra precaution...

There's a lot of crunch to this couscous salad and it's quite delicious if I do say so myself. I would eat it at room temperature. No need to heat up the leftovers.


AND...

Here is the unveiling of the plate I made at MAKE!


It's in my blog colors! This way I have a pretty plate to put my food that I present to you!

(In case it was unclear)

It's the blog address!

Ta-Da!!!

2 comments:

  1. The chicken couscous salad looks delish. And I LOOOOOVE the plate you made at MAKE! As a blog loyalist, thank you for the present :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks amazing! Now I'm really hungry. The plate is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete