Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chocolate Chip Biscotti

One of my crowd-pleasers is my chocolate chip biscotti that I modified oh-so-slightly from Giada's recipe. I feel like I finally perfected the recipe due to my recent mishap when I left the butter out a little too long which made the biscotti crack in the first bake.

This recipe is rather time-consuming and the oven needs to stay on for at least two hours, so be prepared!

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Line a heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl to blend.

Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter in a large bowl to blend. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time. Add the flour mixture and beat just until blended.


Stir in chocolate chips.

Form the dough into a 16-inch-long, 3-inch-wide log. Transfer the log to the prepared baking sheet. Bake until light golden, about 30 - 35 minutes. Cool 30 minutes on baking sheet. (The first few times I made this, I cooled it on a baking rack but do NOT do that because it comes apart more easily)

(Again, because my butter had melted, there were these huge cracks in the dough which usually does NOT happen)

Place the log on the cutting board. (you can just transfer the whole thing using the parchment paper underneath and placing it over the cutting board. This way you don't even have to wash the cutting board) Using a serrated knife, cut the log on a diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

Arrange the cookies cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake the cookies until pale golden, about 15 - 20 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a rack and cool completely.


I also wasn't paying attention and ended up keeping my biscotti in the oven for an extra eight minutes and it turned out not so bad! It was certainly darker than normal but I actually like my biscotti on the crispier side so it turned out well. My co-workers weren't complaining either!

The major differences between my recipe and Giada's is that I left out the anise, lessened the sugar and kept it in the oven for a bit longer so it's more biscotti-like instead of cookie-like.

Writing this post is making me want to bake a batch right now...

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love love LOOOOOOOVE your chocolate chip biscotti!!!!! The modifications you made to Giada's recipe are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Sonoko! Sooo good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the chocolate chip biscotti recipe!!! And you know how I love Giadda - but agree no anise (I don't like that flavor). Can't wait to make my own batch:)

    ReplyDelete