Monday, July 13, 2009

Goodbye Chicken!

At long last, I have finally finished the last of the rotisserie chicken! Woot! I would say that all-in-all it was worth it for me to spend the $7.99 to get it because it saved me stress (wondering if it's actually cooked), time, and....money???

I was reading this month's Cooking Light and it had an article called "The Price of Convenience" and it compared how much it would cost to make food from scratch to getting it pre-made or pre-packaged. They compared different kinds of chicken as well.

Whole Chicken (raw) - $1.28 per pound
Cut-Up Whole Chicken (raw) - $1.69 per pound

These two were a no-brainer but I was surprised by this:


I usually buy skinless, boneless chicken breasts so I guess it's more cost-effective for me to buy the rotisserie chicken! Who knew?!

Now back to my chicken's demise...

For dinner yesterday, I made a pesto chicken sandwich.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
2 Tablespoons pesto sauce
2 small zucchini
slice of cheddar cheese
any kind of bread
salt and pepper

Excuse the picture below. For some reason it refuses to turn the right way...


Directions:

Mix chicken with pesto sauce.


Grill zucchini and season with salt and pepper.


I used this lovely olive bread that Nicole bought for me on the Upper East Side and topped one half with the chicken and the other with the grilled zucchini and cheese. Put in toaster oven for about two minutes and enjoy!


I made this again for dinner and this time I used parmesan cheese and also added raw spinach and it tasted SO MUCH BETTER! I definitely recommend using parmesan cheese since it's keeping with the Italian taste.

I had about a cup of chicken left so I made a salad to bring for lunch tomorrow.

In the mix: spinach, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, and THE LAST BIT OF CHICKEN!!!!


And of course as I was just thinking about how inconvenient it is to have to put the salad dressing in another container, I remembered I had a salad tupperware that Sonoko bought me a while ago.


I LOVE this salad container because it's bigger than most and really easy to clean because the dressing container is rather large. I always complained about how my salad-blaster-bowl was just too small to fit my ginormous, hearty salads so when Sonoko found this, she bought it for me! I usually use this but I guess in the excitement of finishing my chicken, I totally forgot about this genius-ness that sits on top of the fridge.

1 comment:

  1. i really think that salad bowl is awesome. and i want your sandwich.

    ReplyDelete