Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Gray Smoothies and My Love of Cheese

I've been hearing a lot about Amazing Grass which is a blend of protein and superfoods that's supposed to be SUPER good for you! Many a blogger have raved about it so I thought I would give it a try. In fact, I was so encouraged by all of the positive reviews that I bought sample sizes of all different kinds and thought I would blog about each one.

Yes, this was another casualty of my Whole Foods Extravaganza. I started with the original flavor of GREENSuperfood.

One serving gives you the antioxidant equivalent of 7 servings of fruits and vegetables and helps you hit your daily quota. Green SuperFood: All natural and organic ingredients include organic wheat grass, organic barley grass, organic alfalfa, organic spirulina, organic spinach, organic chlorella (cracked cell-wall), organic broccoli, organic pure acai from Sambazon, organic maca, organic carrot, organic beet, raspberry, rose hips, pineapple, green tea, acerola cherry, organic flax seed powder, apple pectin fiber, F.O.S. (from chicory root), L. acidophilus, alpha and beta amylase, protease, lipase, lactase, cellulase, siberian eleuthero root and peppermint.
100% Vegan.
...says the website. They suggest mixing it with water or milk so I mixed it up with some vanilla soy milk.


While it didn't taste heinous, I would say that you can definitely taste all of the "good" stuff in there (the veggies). Veggie powder in soy milk = not delicious. I was a little discouraged from my experiment so I took a break for a few weeks, until today!

I haven't been feeling very energetic due to my lack of sleep...due to the heat in my apartment so I thought tonight would be a good time to get a little energy kick! Also because my dad got me a blender that I brought back this past weekend.

There's been buzz about "green monsters" which is essentially a smoothie made with spinach or other leafy greens to give it that green glow. You just put in a bunch of healthy stuff and drink it for an instant pick-me-up. I tried to create my own but probably should've used a recipe someone has tried.

In my "green monster" (which you will see is actually quite gray) I put: a cup of vanilla soy milk, a cup of blackberries, a cup of spinach and a scoop of original blend Amazing Meal.


Clearly, not very green and not very tasty. I think the ingredient that I missed was the banana? Not sure. Also, I froze my blackberries before tasting it so perhaps they weren't very sweet. Either way, it was an experiment gone very wrong. I'm willing to try it again with the requisite banana and nut butter that most bloggers have put in. Ah well. You will most likely see another post about this but hopefully with a much better result.

I will say, though, that I felt a little bit more energetic and not as "blah." I had a trying evening where I learned once again that I'm just not a very good interviewee. Sigh.

After downing two-thirds of my gray monster, I decided that the only way I would feel better was to have some cheese. :D I had a multi-grain bagel from my parent's house so I decided to just melt some cheese on a bagel and call it a dinner - especially because I had some great aged cheddar I bought a couple weeks ago. But after a good five minutes, I talked myself off that ledge and convinced myself that that would not be very nutritious and would probably just make me feel worse. So I whipped up a quick tuna salad and made a tuna melt instead.

Ingredients: a can of tuna fish, one huge diced carrot, a tablespoon of mayo, a teaspoon of mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.


Put tuna on the bagel and top with sliced cheese. Pop it in the toaster oven for four minutes and you've got a delicious meal!



I love the look (and taste) of melted cheese!

You know, the other day I read this book:


and they said that casein, which is found in cheese, is addictive! Of course, this book also advocated cleanses and detoxes so I have to take it with a grain of salt, but it was an interesting idea. Because despite having implied how ridiculous detoxes are, I will say that I did one in the beginning of the year to "re-set" my body. It just consisted of eating raw or steamed veggies, brown rice, beans....and that's about it for four days (no salt, sugar, pepper, seasonings of any kind) It was really difficult and gross but the only thing I really craved was cheese! Perhaps that was the casein talking?!

In any case, the book was mainly a case for veganism more than anything else. It opened my eyes to animal cruelty but not enough for me to give up my cheese. :)

2 comments:

  1. mmmm, melted cheese. I share the love, I made a lasagna a few days ago that I'm still working on. I could live on cheese. Funny enough, I just started freezing banana slices this morning, to make smoothies with. I'll be interested to see what tasty smoothie recipes you uncover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tried Amazing Grass - WOW! You can get it at Whole Foods...interesting! Maybe I'll have to check it out and follow the recipe. I find that some of the things the Food Bloggers blog about are not always that tasty. It makes me wonder if taste is something they care about or if it's really just about the nutrients they're putting into their bodies.

    IE: I tried Larabars and I think they are disgusting. However, I did also try the Oikos Greek Yogurt and liked it. So right now I'm 50/50 on foods tried because of Food Blogs. I'll keep you posted if I try the Amazing Grass Smoothie!

    ReplyDelete