Thursday, July 23, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince


Wow, July is turning out to be the month of movies for me! Tis a bad, bad thing that my employer offers discounted movie tickets...

Tonight I went to see Harry Potter with a few of my friends. It's been rainy all day and I had an interesting/mentally exhausting day at work so this was the perfect end to my week. (YES, I have tomorrow off!!!)

The Harry Potter movies have a special place in my heart because that is how my dear friend Beth and I first bonded. We went to see the last movie two years ago and it was the first time we had hung out with each other one-on-one. By the end of the night we felt comfortable enough to tell each other that Daniel Radcliffe was aging well (we may have used different language but we won't tell her husband that) and a wonderful friendship was born!

In this movie, they're all in their sixth year at Hogwarts and the Death Eaters are becoming more and more powerful and prominent. It's clear they're gaining power and threatening the safety of Hogwarts and especially Dumbledore. I don't want to get too into the plot but basically Harry continues his quest to defeat Voldemort.

There's a lot of teen angst/love in this movie which I found very entertaining, actually. It wasn't cheesy at all and reminded me of that awkward phase where you think you're in a real relationship and everything is very dramatic. Beth and I agreed that Rupert Grint (Ron) was fantastic in this movie and really stole the show. I also loved Luna Lovegood's character. She may be my favorite, actually. Helena Bonham Carter was also really great, too...

The movie as a whole was so well-crafted and captivating and dramatic right from the beginning. I thought that the very first scene in the movie was really poignant because it really takes you right back to the end of the last movie and right back to the shock and heartache. There were some really great lines and funny moments that had me laughing out loud several times but it was perfectly balanced with a serious and dark storyline. Not to sound cliche but I laughed, I cried, and in one scene nearly jumped out of my seat!

I think that this may be my favorite Harry Potter movie so far. I was really impressed with the effects, the acting, and storyline. I really love the books but I have to say, they really tackled this movie in a way that was digestible and entertaining. I think it also helps that it's been a really really long time since I read this book so I forgot enough of it that some parts of the movie seemed new to me. I definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment