Friday, August 7, 2009

$200 Spending Fast Results


Howdy, blog friends! So I've come to the (almost) end of my spending fast. I say almost because while I still have five days left of the fast, I'll be going on vacation tomorrow for a week with my family, where all of my meals will be provided for me. I know, I know, it seems like cheating but I set my goal to be $200 knowing I would have 5 days where I was provided for.

So now I know you're all curious as to how I did, so I have left...drum roll please...


$2.09

:D

This is why I'm so bad with money. If I have it, I will spend it. I will say, that with three days left, I kind of was a bit careless with my money - going to Farmer's Market, paying $8 for a picture of me and Erica on race day...etc. I think I spent the bulk of my money on food -for groceries and meals out - which does not surprise me in the least. My biggest downfall was this past Saturday when I spent the whole day out and just continued to spend money. I had tons of fun, mind you, but it's definitely something I need to watch. Making plans in advance is a good thing but sometimes you want to be spontaneous, you know? I guess it's all about that balance...with food, with money, and in general.

I also have to thank my friends and family. My mom obviously gave me tons of food to hold me over and ALL of my friends were so super-understanding about my money situation. This goes to show that the more honest you are about your money situation, the easier it will be to not spend it. None of my friends complained when I asked them for cheaper alternatives to whatever we had planned on doing and most welcomed it! And a few were extremely generous and treated me to things. (no, I didn't ask them to!)

Now I know that it's possible to not spend hundreds of dollars a month on frivolous things. While there were some moments that were especially tough - like having to wake up early to make lunch because I was out late the night before and didn't have time to make it in advance - most of the time I really didn't feel deprived. Of course, it would've been nice to be able to treat myself to certain things at the time, but I don't regret NOT spending money. Hopefully in the future, I'll remember this past month and be more conscious of what I'm spending my money on.

I'm going on vacation starting tomorrow morning so I won't be blogging for a week. *gasp* When I get back, though, look out for a SUPER post where I'll blog about my whole week and let you experience the amazingness that is my mother's cooking :) This is the first time I'm going to New Hampshire with my own camera, so it's kind of exciting! I have to admit, there will be a day dedicated to outlet shopping, but I've already made my shopping list and taken out all of the cash I'm alloting for the excursion, so hopefully I can stay within budget.

I'll miss you, blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment