Monday, August 24, 2009

Big Day, Big Breakfast

This weekend was my be-majorly-productive-weekend so I was super busy Saturday and Sunday. I spent Saturday afternoon and night working on things in my apartment (and life) that have been majorly neglected in the last.....month or so. I cleaned, filed papers, caught up on my New York Times (provided by the best brother in the world), cleaned out my closet, re-assessed finances for the year...etc. You may think it's a bummer of a Saturday night, but for this OCD girl, it was heaven on earth!

Sunday was designated for errands outside the apartment. I planned on going to church, buying materials for Sonoko's wedding album, and going to the library to do a practice GRE test. I knew I would be busy busy from 10:00am to at least 3:00pm so I wanted to have a hearty breakfast since I wasn't sure when I would be able to eat.

For the first time ever, I made homemade oatmeal! Beth had tried making this a while ago and told me that she did NOT enjoy it, so I was prepared to be a bit disappointed/disgusted.


I started out with 1/3 cup of rolled oats, 1/3 cup plain soymilk, 1/3 cup of water, and 1 Tbsp of ground flax. I mixed it in a saucepan until all of the liquid was absorbed.

Then, I added my toppings. I knew the oatmeal itself wouldn't taste like anything, so the toppings were key. I added 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 teaspoon of shredded coconut, 1/4 of one of the peanut butter brownie from the movies, and 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter.

WHOA.

Here's a macro shot of the oatmeal, which you can't see under all of my toppings:


Oh my gosh, it was yummy! Thanks to the add-ins, of course. The peanut butter melted in my spoon which made it easy to distribute. Every bite was delicious! It was basically like eating dessert but better because while you get all of the sweetness and sampling of lovely flavors, most of it was oatmeal, so it's healthy!

It's a shame that it was a rather hot morning because I didn't fully enjoy the experience but it was still a lovely breakfast. It also kept me full for about 4 and a half hours, which I think is AMAZING! Even more amazing is that I had all of the ingredients in my pantry so it was easy to throw together and quite economical.

I will say, though, that the oatmeal takes on a bit of a gummy texture but with the toppings, you could hardly taste it iwith all of the good stuff on top. I would even eat it with a runny egg and sausage mixed in... Ooooo...or maybe even cheese! Because of its blandness, you can add anything to it - be is sweet or savory.

The only down side was that it took about 12 minutes for all of the liquid to absorb so you're going to have to wake up a little early if you want to enjoy it. I know what my go-to breakfast will be for big days. My hope is that in the winter I'll be able to enjoy it more because (fingers crossed!) I'll have more time in the morning since I'll be living closer to work.

Give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to try it again and focus more on my toppings!!! We'll have to discuss this.

    ReplyDelete