Thursday, August 6, 2009

Farmer's Market and Breakfast for Dinner

Erica came over for dinner tonight to exchange presents and to help me clean out my refrigerator before going to New Hampshire for a week. I had some veggies in the fridge so I decided to make a veggie omelet for dinner. I only had green vegetables so I moseyed on over to the Farmers Market at Columbia during my lunch break in search of a non-green vegetable...


Green...


Purple...but perhaps a little too mushy for an omelet...


Browns...


Perfect!

I picked up this container of cherry tomatoes for $3!

I also bought some "fun bread" as I like to call them. After about 10 minutes of staring at all different kinds of breads, I finally decided on the Portobello, Red Onion and Vermont Sharp Cheddar.




I can't tell you how much I enjoy Farmers Markets. It's so fun! And while the prices tend to be a bit higher than supermarkets, you can feel good about spending the money to benefit the community, help the environment, and eat quality food.

Once home, I chopped up the veggies and sauted them for a few minutes with a little bit of olive oil.



And of course, what's an omelet without a little cheese? I had some Pepper Jack Cheese so I chopped that up to for easy melting.


I whipped up the omelet and Nicole made fabulous potatoes from the market in Grand Central. They were red and purple potatoes and tasted delicious!


The portion looks ridiculously big but we had a good amount of vegetables (at least two servings) so it was a pretty healthy meal and quite delicious! The "fun bread" was the perfect compliment to the meal.

For dessert, Nicole made homemade whipped cream with fruit. More Superfoods!

Here was my bowl...


And Erica's...


I love this girl. She knows how to enjoy life!

In other news, I'm thinking about changing the name of my blog. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Can I come live with you guys? You two make the best food.

    ReplyDelete