Wednesday, August 5, 2009

New East Cuisine Manor


Gotta love places with neon lights...

This past weekend, Erica and I decided to explore Flushing, Queens, which is less than half an hour away from my apartment on the 7 train. We were really in the mood for Dim Sum but didn't know where to go, so we just googled "dim sum in flushing" and came across New East Cuisine Manor (formerly called Gala Manor) on Main Street.

We were excited because it was rated the #1 dim sum restaurant in Flushing by some website but once we got there, we were quite disappointed to find that with the new name, dim sum was no more :(

It was a lively atmosphere and we were starving, so we decided to stick it out and see what it was about.


There seemed to be a lot of authentic Chinese food on the menu (ie: no sesame chicken or lo mein) so we decided to go with Spring Rolls as an appetizer, and the House Special Fried Rice and Chicken with Pineapple and Ginger. All were DElicious!

Immediately upon seating, we were served hot tea, pickled vegetables, and boiled peanuts. I had never eaten boiled peanuts before but they were quite good. The consistency is not one I can effectively communicate but it was interesting...


When we ordered the spring rolls, the waiter told us that there were eight spring rolls and that it was a lot of food. Clearly, he had never seen me and Erica put away food so while he was laughing, we were not worried.

However, we were very surprised when this came out...


Certainly enough to feed a small army...


We had a good number of these guys which were filled with cabbage and...something else that I can seem to remember right now. They came with a sweet chili sauce and was a lovely start.


Then our main dishes came out!



I love all things pineapple, so this was an easy choice to order. I'm actually not the biggest fan of ginger but my love of pineapple really sold me on this dish. Once it came, though, I realized that the ginger was sweet pickled ginger (the kind of you get with sushi) so I was thrilled! That is the only kind of ginger I'll eat. This dish was sweet and a great balance of chicken and vegetables.

When our fried rice came out, I nearly died of delight! The portion was GINORMOUS and the waiter joked about how he didn't think we ordered enough food. Point taken.


This fried rice was not that greasy and had a lot of eggs in it, which I love. In fact, the egg was my favorite part about the rice. It also had these little brown shrimp-like things that were salty and delicious. I have no idea what they could be...

Here's the before picture which was taken after we put a dent into the spring rolls:


After:


We were both STUFFED from all of the food and we still had a good amount of food left!

After we were done, they then came out with this warm soup that was, I think, watered down red beans. Yum!


They also brought out complimentary orange slices. I was REALLY uncomfortable after eating all of that but after I had a couple of slices of oranges, I felt like I was ready to eat more! Bizarre...

I think it was a magic orange.


Not only was the service amazing (everyone was SO friendly and patient!) but the prices were really reasonable! They include tip into the bill and it came to be $21 each! After eating more than one portion at dinner, I still had three more meals as leftovers. You really can't beat that!

And of course, I had to have dessert even after being stuffed to the gills. We walked over to a Chinese bakery that my family goes to when we're in the area...

It's right by the subway stop so it was super convenient. I got my all-time favorite Chinese dessert - egg custard! I was first introduced to this delight my senior year of college when a friend of mine used to always go to the Columbia business building where they had a Chinese cafe and get this and bubble tea. She would bring this to our Tibetan Buddhism class every week and now I always associate egg custards with Professor Thurman. :) Weird...

I wonder if that cafe is still in Uris...


This was warm, sweet, and delicious! The perfect end to a lovely evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment