Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Okra....nice to see you, again

I used to eat raw okra quite often as a little kid. My mom would cut them in half and put it in a little bowl served with just soy sauce. I never really liked it because it was slimy, the seeds would get stuck in my teeth, and I was also never really fond of soy sauce, to be honest. And because of it's shape, I would always get it stuck in my throat. As I got older, I was able to tolerate it and recently learned to like it even more.

Some of the food blogs I've been reading have sampled different ways of eating (raw, roasted, fried with cornmeal...etc.) so I thought I would give it a try. My favorite blogger, Kath, roasted it and dipped it in ketchup, so I did a little variation of that. I love this girl because she dips a lot of things in ketchup (ie-kale) as do I.

I ended up sprinkling them with kosher salt and garlic powder and toasting them in my toaster oven for a total of 10 minutes. They were still raw enough that I felt like I was getting the nutrients but also firm from the toasting.


And of course, I dipped it in lots o' ketchup!


The open-faced sandwich I ate it with was just whole wheat bread from my mom, a wedge of laughing cow cheese, the last of my pesto (booo) and half of Nicole's avocado!

It was a no-fuss dinner with all of the food groups! I LOVE when that happens!

2 comments:

  1. What is laughing cow cheese?!! I love it already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing Cow Cheese is spreadable, Swiss cheese! You must try it, Spencer!!!

    http://www.laughingcow.com/

    ReplyDelete