Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Salmon Cakes...yum

I usually make at least one big meal on Sundays so that I have lunches for the rest of the week and don't have to worry about packing it in the morning. I am NOT a morning person, as you may know, so anything I can do to save a little time is always a good thing. This week, I made salmon cakes, which are one of my favorite dishes but something I haven't made since I moved to Queens.

I love these not only because they're delicious but also because it's a great way to eat salmon and get all the nutrients without breaking the bank. Why? Because I use this:


For less than two dollars, you just can't go wrong!

Ingredients:
One can of salmon (drained)
Two scallions - chopped
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
3 Tablespoons olive oil

I used Italian bread crumbs because that's all I had but you can certainly use plain ones. Just make sure to season it with a little salt and pepper and if you're feeling adventurous, maybe some cumin or curry!


Directions:

Put salmon in bowl and take out as much of the bones and skin as you can. Now, you totally don't have to do this. The bones and skin are edible (and I have eaten them before) but it makes it a little more challenging to shape the patties when you have bones sticking out and the skin being a bit slippery.

When the salmon comes out of the can, it's usually still in tact (fillet style) so it's pretty easy to take out the bones in one fell swoop.






Add chopped up scallions and bread crumbs to the salmon and mush it with a fork until well incorporated.

Form into 4 patties.

The first few times I made these, I lightly patted them into patties and they fell apart in the pan. The trick is to really squeeze and form the patties so some of the moisture comes out. This way, they'll keep their shape even in the pan. Don't worry if they don't look pretty - it takes practice but I promise, either way, they'll still taste delicious!


Add olive oil to the pan and put on medium high heat. Once the oil heats up, add all four patties. Cook about 3-4 minutes on each side until they get a nice color on them. The salmon is already cooked so you don't have to worry about getting sick from eating raw salmon or anything. The cooking is really to hold it's shape and give it a good color and crisp.


I like things to be cooked really well because I love the crunch. I love brownie corners, burnt chicken...etc. So yours doesn't have to be as dark as mine if you don't like things that crispy. However, the inside was still lovely and soft.




I eat mine with brown rice and greens without any extra seasoning but you can eat them however you'd like. If you put a little curry into the salmon, you can season it with soy sauce or if you put Italian breadcrumbs in it, you can add some mayo and eat it like a crabcake! Or like a burger...

No matter how you eat it, it'll taste yummy, I'm sure.

Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing - can't wait to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete