Wednesday, September 9, 2009

...And Then There's Me...

I hate to follow Nina's beautiful post with this rather lackluster post but unfortunately, it cannot be helped...

As I've mentioned, the whole reason for having guest bloggers this month is so I can take a mini-break from blogging. I have a jam-packed September and today was pretty indicative of how the rest of my month will be.

I came home from work a little before 9pm, famished and exhausted! My fruits and veggie intake has been quite low these past couple of days due to laziness so I knew I had to eat something that had at least a little bit of nutritional value. I also am planning on hitting the hay as soon as this post is done because I have another full day tomorrow and I've been feeling a little under the weather lately so I wanted to keep dinner pretty light.

All of these factors made me decide to treat myself to Subway's veggie delite sandwich.



It basically is a sandwich of any type of veggie filling you'd like, so mine included: lettuce, tomato, green peppers, cucumbers, black olives, pickles, and jalapenos. I asked for "a little bit of honey mustard" but the man who was making my sandwich had a different idea of what "little" was...



Eek! It was good though and for less than $4, it's a pretty good deal. Of course, I probably could've made this sandwich myself for much less than that, but after a hard day's work, the last thing you want to do is have to take the time to assemble it yourself. Hence the fast food.


My sister sent me a great article that was in the Times today about Japanese bento boxes. It's about the artistry of bento boxes and how they're becoming more prevalent in American culture. Incidentally, I discovered this fun blog a few weeks ago where"Biggie" makes creative and delicious bento boxes. So cute!

I LOVE bento boxes because it brings back fond memories of my childhood... My parents made me go to Japanese school on Saturdays and the only thing I liked about it was our yearly field day where we would bring our lunches and then play games in the afternoon. Because most of us were first generation, our mothers would make us elaborate bento lunches and it would be fun to see who's mom made what.

As you're familiar with my mother's food presentation skills, you can imagine how fun our lunches were. She could make bunnies out of apples and other fun shapes out of food. As we got older, my mom continued to make us bento lunches for long trips and picnics but they didn't have bunny-shaped apples for obvious reasons. Adults have no fun!

When I was in Kyoto for a year, my friends and I would often go to the bento place a few blocks from our school and order fresh bentos for about $7. A-mazing! Mike and I always said that we would "introduce Manhattan to bento boxes" and open up our own store near NYU but I guess we're a little too late now...

1 comment: