Thursday, September 17, 2009

Crispy Sausage and Pepper Pizza

I seem to have not filled my quota of pizza last month because all I can think about this month is - pizza. So much so that the other night I smelled pizza on my walk home but was too cheap to shell out $3 for a lackluster slice so had this for dinner:


I'm not proud of what I had to do, people, but when a girl needs melted cheese, a girl needs melted cheese.

Moving on...

I did make a legit pizza the other day to satisfy my pizza craving. What's the best part of making your own pizza you ask? It's that you can eat the leftover for DAYS.


Ingredients:

refrigerated pizza dough
1 cup of diced tomatoes (you can used canned or fresh...cherry, grape, beefsteak...whatever you've got)
1 green pepper
3 turkey sausages
2 1/2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese (feel free to use less. 2 cups will do just fine. possibly even 1 1/2 cups depending on how much self-restraint you have)
black pepper

I started with refrigerated pizza dough.


This was a Pillsbury pizza dough. It's not necessarily the best pre-made dough but you can find it anywhere and I'm pretty comfortable experimenting with it since I've had it so often.

When it comes out of the can it looks like this so you have to use your fingers and just spread it out to the thinness you want. I like to maximize my pizza experience so I filled it pretty much to the edges of my large baking sheet. If you want it softer and thicker, just straighten it out so that it looks pretty but don't knead it out too much.

I also like my crust pretty crispy so I pre-baked it for about 8 minutes before doing anything to it.

I preheated the oven to 450 degrees for the pre-baking and then lowered it to 425 for the rest of the baking.

Okay, this picture looks gross but I had to show you that I took the casings off my turkey sausage.


You can use any type of sausage (pork, beef, soy...etc.) but just make sure to take the casing off. In fact, some stores (like Fairway) sell sausage meat by the pound so you don't even have to bother taking the casing off. The easiest way to take the casings off is to freeze the sausage (which I do anyway if I'm not cooking it right away) and when it's about 75% thawed, peel it off. It's easy and you don't need a knife or anything. Don't worry about it looking messy though because you're going to...

Saute in pan until brown or in my case...crispy and blackish...

Slice up green peppers and then throw those in the pan when the sausage is looking pretty cooked.


Add 2 cups of mozzarella cheese onto pizza dough. Add sausage, pepper, and tomatoes. Sprinkle rest of cheese on top of everything and then finish by adding a bit of pepper.


I put my pizza in the oven for about 18 minutes but again, I like my well done, so feel free to take it out sooner.




I think I finally feel satisfied and I won't crave pizza for at least another...two weeks. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Wow Shi that looks amazing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm going to have to make pizza...this looks too delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pizza looks SCRUMPTIOUS!!! I love your continued chronicling of your cheese obsession :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, everyone! 'Twas quite good :)

    ReplyDelete