Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Guest Blogger: Beth

Foodie Wednesday: Giada Challenge, Chicken Parmesan

Hi everyone, I’m Shion’s friend Beth! I have a blog called Getting By, Dreaming Big and on Wednesday’s my blog entries center around Food, hence Foodie Wednesday. I write about recipes that I’ve tried, I review restaurants & products, really I just write about anything that has to do with food.

I like to set challenges for myself to complete. The book/movie Julie & Julia (although I haven’t read or seen either) inspired me to challenge myself to cook every recipe in one of my cookbooks. I chose Everyday Kitchen, by Giada De Laurentiis, mainly because every Giada recipe I’ve ever tried has been so delicious. You can’t go wrong with a Giada recipe, especially if you love Italian food, which I do!

My husband and I recently got back from a 10 day trip to Europe. When we got back we were craving a good home cooked meal (and preferably something not German). So I decided to whip up a Giada recipe. I chose Chicken Parmesan.

Ingredients 3 tablespoons olive oil 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves Salt and freshly ground black pepper 8 (3-ounces each) chicken cutlets 1 1/2 cups Simple Tomato Sauce, or purchased marinara sauce 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella 16 teaspoons grated Parmesan 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.

Stir the oil and herbs in a small bowl to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Brush both sides of the cutlets with the herb oil. Heat a heavy large oven-proof skillet over high heat. Add the cutlets and cook just until brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the skillet from the heat

Spoon the marinara sauce over and around the cutlets. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of mozzarella over each cutlet, then sprinkle 2 teaspoons of Parmesan over each. Sprinkle the butter pieces atop the cutlets. Bake until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 3 to 5 minutes.


I didn’t make her marinara sauce; I just used a jar sauce. On the side we had Giada’s Caprese Salad (for whatever reason I was craving tomatoes that night!) I have to say that when the recipe called for tabs of butter on top of the cheese while it baked I was more than a little nervous, but the end result was amazing. My husband, Jon, said it was easily one of the best chicken parmesans he’s ever had and that it was restaurant quality. I have to say I agree with him. The herbs flavored the chicken so well. The dish was much lighter too, without the bread crumbs; however you didn’t lose the flavor you might get from Italian seasoned bread crumbs because of the herbs rubbed into the chicken.

The dish was pretty easy, the most time consuming part was chopping the herbs to rub into the chicken. Once that was done it was very easy to complete.

Another amazing dish provided by Giada :)


Post in Comments:
Who is your favorite Food Network Chef? Obviously mine is Giada, but if I had to pick someone else I’d say the Barefoot Contessa!

1 comment:

  1. I like Giada, too, because I never go wrong with her recipes. I also like Rachael Ray because she always has helpful tips for the kitchen, but I don't necessarily like her recipes....

    ReplyDelete