Monday, September 28, 2009

Stuffed Peppers



I was browsing myrecipes.com to meal plan for the week and came across a recipe for a pizza stuffed peppers. Whaaaaaaat?!

Surprisingly, I didn't make it but it did inspire me to make my own version of a pizza stuffed pepper. Remember the crispy sausage and pepper pizza I made? Well, I decided to use the same ingredients more or less and make it into a different kind of meal.

Ingredients:

4 bell peppers (obviously I only used three but I had tons of stuffing left over)
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
3 turkey sausages (you're going to have to take them out of the casings again)
1 15oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Hollow out bell peppers.


You can do this by cutting the tops of the peppers and then lift the center and core should come with it. Cut out the white membrane and scoop out any rouge seeds. You'll also want to cut the bottom of the pepper so that it can sit in the baking pan, so create a flat bottom.

Saute sausage in pan. No need to use oil!


Make sure to break up the sausage into little pieces.

In a saucepan, mix 1 cup quinoa and two cups of water. Bring to a boil and once it bubbles up, lower heat so it's simmering and COVER.


Once the water is all evaporated, fluff it up with a fork.

Add the cooked quinoa into the sausage pan and add diced tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste. I used about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stuff the mixture into peppers and sprinkle with cheese.

Put in oven for about 15 minutes...


And it comes out like this!


DElicious!

I apologize for the presentation being awful. I put these guys immediately into tupperware for my lunches so it never stood a chance of being presentable.

That's the thing about meal planning. You don't always get to eat it right away. Of course, if I planned properly, I would've eaten one for dinner but by this time I had already eaten a ab&j. Ah well!

These were delicious as "leftovers" and were so much healthier than the pizza I had eaten the other week! It could probably be a bit more nutritious but I didn't have the energy to go to the grocery store to pick up more veggies to put in it. STILL GOOD!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love stuffed peppers...I'll have to give these a try...esp. since I've never had quionoa.

    ReplyDelete