Thursday, September 3, 2009

Welcome to My Kitchen, Mini Food Processor!

Because of my recent discovery of the versatility of pesto sauce and eating one of the best sandwiches on earth, I decided that I should invest in a food processor of my own. Especially because I will no longer be living with Nicole, who spoils me in so many ways, and also owns state of the art kitchen electrics. After doing extensive research on mini-food processors, I decided to get this guy:


I used a coupon my mom had given me as well as a gift certificate I had from credit card points, making the total cost of this Cuisinart = $0.

Gotta love it!

I christened this baby by making hummus the other day. And when I say hummus, I mean, my own version of hummus because I had neither a recipe nor tahini, which is key to making hummus. Instead, I used ground up sesame seeds I bought from a Japanese grocery store.


Ingredients included a can of chickpeas, 1 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1/4 cup ground sesame seeds, and a pinch of salt.

Grind, grind, grind....


It was pretty good! Because I didn't put in garlic, it wasn't overpowering and you could taste the chickpeas. Actually, because the food processor was quite loud, I didn't grind it all the way so had some chunky bits of chickpeas which made it even yummier.

I've been eating this hummus on whole wheat pita the past two days for lunch but I decided to mix it up a little for dinner.

Here was the key ingredient tonight:


Sriracha sauce - which is essentially really really spicy chili sauce. :) I LOVE spicy food so I think this would be a great addition to my collection of condiments. Now, if only I had bought this before I made that tuna mac 'n cheese, it would have been even better.

For my appetizer, I cut up a red pepper, put about a tablespoon of hummus on each half and dotted it with sriracha.



Once I had a bite of this though, I decided I didn't put on enough sauce and put about double the amount pictured here. It was VERY delicious and perfect for a post-workout snack.

I also had something else for dinner but I'm not going to reveal it since I made it for my date with my mom tomorrow and want to surprise her! What I will say is that most of the ingredients were picked up at the farmer's market today. (I know, not much of a hint)

My mom is coming into the city and we're going to go see Still Walking which is a great Japanese film. I saw it last Sunday and absolutely loved it. It's a really subtle but powerful film about a family dealing with grief and the different ways grief manifests itself in different people. It was heartbreaking and funny at the same time and a great depiction of a typical Japanese family living in Japan. I definitely recommend it! It was subtitled so I read a lot of it last week so I'm looking forward to actually enjoying the movie tomorrow without having to read the subtitles this time.

Don't forget to send me your posts to be a guest blogger this month! Please send me a picture and post to shion.newyork@gmail.com. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're all eating! I already got a couple posts so I'm excited! You don't have to have cooked it, either! It can be a restaurant review, product review...etc. Be creative and have fun!

1 comment:

  1. I love that food processor - have it myself. We make pesto and hummus with it (as well as other things) ... kudos!

    ReplyDelete