Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Different Kind of Breakfast

I'm definitely a creature of habit and that's pretty evident in my weekday breakfasts. Every morning, I have a bowl of Kashi Go Lean cereal with fruit (bananas, blueberries...etc.), ground flax seeds, a spoonful of a nut butter, and soy milk. To drink, I'll have coffee with agave nectar and soy milk. A couple weeks ago, I realized that I haven't been finishing my cereal in the morning despite being pretty hungry. I guess I had been getting tired of it but I wasn't really sure what to do since I have no time in the morning to make oatmeal from scratch (I'm not a fan of instant oatmeal) or eggs or anything like that.

But I HATE that mid-morning hunger so I brainstormed some make-ahead breakfasts that were relatively healthy to eat. Unfortunately, muffins didn't make the "healthy" cut.

I had gone on the South Beach Diet about four years ago because I had hurt my foot to the point of not being able to walk, had no job, and was living at home at the time. I decided that it would be a good time to try a diet since I was pretty much bedridden and miserable already.

This was the first and last diet I have ever been on. It was definitely one of the most miserable times of my life because if you know me at all, I get immense pleasure in eating. I was constantly hungry and if it weren't for my mom's patience and creative cooking, I probably would have killed someone... :) Thinking back, my mother was such a saint at the time. She made most of my meals and made sure they didn't have carbs in it but also came up with all kinds of fun creations. I think I last about 2 1/2 weeks until I decided it just wasn't worth it.

All of this to say, I did get some great recipes from the diet though. Of course, now I balance them with carbs. Vegetable quiche cups were one of the recipes that was pretty decent. They're great because you can make them in advance and enjoy them for the week. Actually, I would say they should probably be eaten within 5 days at the most. This recipe below was modified ever so slightly from this recipe.

Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1/2 cup egg whites
one container of organic baby spinach
1 red pepper
1/3 cup monterey jack cheese
hot sauce
foil baking cups

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Saute spinach in pan with a little cooking spray and salt.

Chop up red pepper and cheese into small cubes. In a bowl, whisk together 2 eggs and egg whites.

Place foil cups into muffin tin. Spray cooking spray into cups. Add spinach, red peppers, and cheese and then pour egg mixture over it.



Place in oven and bake for 20-23 minutes.



Again, the presentation isn't that wonderful because I immediately put them into the fridge after they had cooled for morning consumption. I heated these up in the microwave for about 25 seconds and drizzled hot sauce all over them. A few times I put them into the toaster oven with my toast for about 2 1/2 minutes.

Pretty yummy and pretty healthy! If you're someone who likes to eat hearty breakfasts, this recipe is a keeper. Some days I also ate it with Canadian bacon - totally reminiscent of my South Beach Diet days...ugh.

1 comment:

  1. hey I love Canadian Bacon!!!! I always eat it with my eggs - YUM! This looks like a good idea Shi, I may have to choose different veggies but I may try out a modified version. I always try to switch up my breakfasts every day.

    ReplyDelete