Monday, October 26, 2009

Guest Blogger: Spencer

Today was a very exciting day for me. Growing up one of my fondestfall memories has always been my mom's chocolate chip pumpkin bread!I have a major weakness for all things pumpkin and all thingschocolate. For the first time ever, I attempted to make my mom'sbread. The recipe is pretty basic. Basically amazing.

Here is everything that you need.


First, add 6 eggs, 3 Cups of pumpkin (2 small cans or 1 big can) and 1.5 C oil in a mixing bowl.

I love the look of pumpkin.



Mix well. Such a happy color!


Next add:
4.5 C flour
4 C sugar
3 tsp baking powder
3 tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cloves
I tend to sprinkle in a little extra spice no matter what I'm making. How beautiful is this? I was tempted to just eat the ground cloves, they smelled so good.

Blend everything together. Mmmmm.


Next, add 2 C chocolate chips. My mom used semi-sweet, but I went for DARK chocolate!


Sitr gently.


Pour equally into 4 loaf pans sprayed with Pam (or other non-stickspray). Bake at 350 for approximately 1 hour.


Check for doneess a little early with a knife, and watch until the knife comes out clean. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before turning outonto cooling racks. So says my mother, but in my excitement I made the mistake of trying to turn out the first loaf too soon, and I tore off the bottom crust.


I also didn't wait for the loaves to cool before slicing, so there wasa little bit of crumbling. Once cool, it stays fluffy but firm. It was a big hit at the potluck I was rushing to get to! It brought backa lot of happy fall feelings from childhood. Leftovers store well in a plastic bag for several days, though it never made it that long in our house!











4 comments:

  1. ahh...yes...pumkin & chocolate...what a great combo! Thanks for sharing this recipe Spencer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So perfect for the season! Can't wait to try it out. Thanks for a great post, Spencer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm salivating.... hmmm... pumpkin and chocolate!

    ReplyDelete