Sunday, October 18, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I'm in my late twenties! Eek!

I had a super special birthday weekend with friends and family. I've been celebrating my birthday since Tuesday, when I went out to dinner with 7 of my friends, and plan to continue celebrating until this Tuesday! :)

Last night, Spencer drove us to Jersey to have a family dinner...






The table was set beautifully by my sister, Sonoko.


She even made nametags for us!


The food was made by my wonderful mother, who made everything from scratch using fresh ingredients!


I made sure to stock up on LOTS of veggies since I haven't been eating very well the last week.



Spencer bought me a Grenache for my birthday and it went perfectly with the lovely meal.


I just can't seem to go wrong with Grenaches! LOVE it!

Spencer and I were on a special mission: decorate the birthday cake!





Yes, folks. That was designed by Spencer and yours truly. It tasted as good as it looks!

Then today, I met my friend Emily at Tea and Sympathy. I've been wanting to go for a LONG time and this was the perfect occasion! It's a very small place with limited seating but everyone there (patrons and wait staff) was very patient and accommodating.

Everyone who works there has a lovely British accent and in fact, most of the patrons were British as well. That's when you know you're at a true English tea!

We started with a pot of Earl Grey tea...


We decided to split the Afternoon Tea for Two, which came with finger sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam, and an assortment of cakes.


The sandwiches included: egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, and cucumber. I was a little disappointed they didn't have smoked salmon sandwiches but maybe they're not authentic tea sandwiches? I think my favorite was the chicken salad sandwich.

We didn't eat ALL of it but we came pretty close!


Everything was so delicious! Clotted cream is something I haven't been able to make on my own so it's always a treat to have it.

Even though there were a few people waiting outside for seats, the waitress didn't rush us out, which is pretty rare in these parts. The atmosphere was so pleasant and even the patrons seemed happy and polite. Perhaps that's the British way? (Obviously, I'm making a lot of generalizations here) Give them a few years in New York City and I'm sure they'll be hardened ;)

I then topped off the night with my good friend Erica. I heated up some leftover peanut noodles that my mom had made and chopped up some cauliflower to dip into a sweet chili sauce.


Oh...and a little sauteed bok choy on the side, too. Everything went well together!


Yummers!

Erica brought over some Levain cookies for dessert! Yay! She brought over every kind for us to try.



All of the cookies were amazing (oatmeal raisin, dark chocolate with chocolate chips, chocolate chip with walnuts, and chocolate peanut butter) but my favorite is still the chocolate chip with walnuts. Erica agrees!

I had a fabulous birthday weekend with my loved ones and look forward to continuing the celebration! Yay for birthdays!!!

4 comments:

  1. Jen and I were just talking about how I want to go to Levain cookies!!! I can't wait to try them. Looks like it was an awesome bday Shi!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that cake looks great! and tommy is the cutest thing i've ever seen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that cake looks delicious and I want some of those cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. posts like these make me miss your mom's food even more. looks like you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete