Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hummus FAIL

I bought dried beans for the first time the other day since it's certainly the most economical choice (as opposed to canned beans). I went with what I eat the most - chick peas!


How cute are these little guys?


I did what the back of the package told me to do and soaked them in cold water overnight.


It ended up being in the fridge for about 15 hours so I figured they were ready to rock!

I decided to try and make hummus again but actually using tahini this time. For those of you who are curious, it looks like this:


And came in this:


I would definitely put this sauce on other dishes! It was yummy by itself (yes, I tasted!) and reminded me of peanut butter for obvious reasons. I wonder if I could put it in homemade granola bars...

I used my new mini-food processor and processed the following:

8 ounces chickpeas (half of the bag)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup tahini
juice of a whole lemon
2 Tbsp olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt

Unfortunately, when I tasted it, I found that the beans were still hard as rock! (or hard as dried beans, rather) Boooooooo. I'm not entirely sure what went wrong...I soaked it for longer than I was supposed to so maybe that's what was wrong with it? Maybe the water was too cold and the chick peas couldn't absorb it???

In any case, I think it's safe to say...Hummus FAIL.

It was pretty hard that I didn't want to eat it alone but I also didn't want to throw it away after all of my hard work and purchase of tahini. I put it away in the fridge until I could think of a better use.

Two days later on the subway...

I wonder if I could saute it and make it into a falafel-type thing! The heat and oil I would use would possibly soften it up a little... So saute them I did.


I had also made olive tapenade by processing kalamata olives so I threw the two onto a spinach tortilla, added some lettuce, and a nice healthy dose of hot sauce.


This was honestly one of the best wraps I've ever had. The chickpeas were still a bit firm but with all of the other fixings, it wasn't such a big deal. All of the flavors went really well together and made me EXTREMELY full! I ate two of these and was HURTING! I thought that because they were relatively healthy it would be okay for me to eat two but I didn't think of the volume until it was a little too late.

I also had some roasted asparagus on the side. I preheated the oven to 400 degrees, cut the bottoms of the asparagus, and tossed them in a little olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast for about 10 minutes.



So easy and SO quick!

They were great as a side dish. I keep forgetting how much I enjoy asparagus and how quickly you can prepare them. I will definitely be getting more soon!

Hey Mommy - remember when I called you in a panic because I bought ridiculously expensive asparagus??? Sigh. How far I've come...

No comments:

Post a Comment