Monday, October 19, 2009

Sweet Potato Fries!


I've been wanting to make sweet potato fries for such a long time and with the weather being so cold and miserable on Saturday, it seemed like the perfect time to turn the oven on. I love fall vegetables - pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes... Not only are the flavors wonderful but I love the colors as well! I love celebrating seasons!

I had turned my computer on to try to look at recipes for sweet potato fries online but I got distracted and shut it down before browsing recipes so I was on my own for these fries.

First, I cut the sweet potato into strips. I had originally wanted to make them a little bit elongated but I've never cooked with a sweet potato before and didn't realize how hard it was! Cutting through it required a lot of muscle!

Once cut, I put it on a baking sheet and doused it with olive oil, salt, and pepper.




I baked them in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes and tossed them around a little.

They weren't browning as much as I liked, so then I increased the temperature to 425 degrees for the last ten minutes.

PERFECTION!!!


I'm pretty sure I put too much olive oil in it so I would keep it to about 2 Tablespoons per medium-sized sweet potato.

I think the temperature increase midway through was a good idea because it was crispy on the outside and sweet soft on the inside. I'm not sure if that would've happened if it would have stayed that way had the temperature been consistent. But I'm sure it would tasted great regardless.

Of course I had it with a healthy dose of ketchup and sriracha sauce with egg whites.


This is definitely more than one serving of sweet potatoes but it was two meals in one so I wasn't concerned. However, in the future, I will definitely split this with someone else :)

Yummers!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. mmmmm, sweeet potato fries... I'm going to have to make some of those soon :)

    ReplyDelete