Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup


I'm trying to be a little bit more adventurous with my root veggies and just expanding my repertoire of recipes. I picked up this butternut squash when I went home last weekend with no idea in mind oh how to cook this up.

I finally settled on making a soup since it's been so cold out! I looked up some recipes and found a pretty basic recipe online that didn't require a lot of ingredients.

Ingredients:

4 cups of cubed butternut squash (I got the smallest squash I could find)
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups skim milk
2 cups chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Peel and seed butternut squash.


Cube into one inch pieces and then place on aluminum foil lined baking tray. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Bake for about 45 minutes or until very soft.


In a food processor, blend squash, milk, and broth and heat up in a sauce pan.

This soup was very thick and I wish I had put more chicken broth in it. In fact, I kind of wish I had put other ingredients to make the squash flavor a little more subtle. Some other recipes I came across said to put in apples, celery...etc. but I didn't have any on hand and didn't feel liking getting a whole thing of celery just for this one dish.

But it was still very yummy! Especially with ketchup drenched kale chips...




Great for a cold, fall day! I think I'm going to heat up leftovers and actually put some of my leftover sauted apples in it as well for a bit of sweetness.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh - Adam hearts butternut squash soup, so thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete