Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Everything But The...


The great thing about having a whole refrigerator to yourself is that it's hard to waste food because you know everything in there is yours to eat! I'm so terrible with using up food and used to ALWAYS throw away food that had gone bad. I recently stopped putting my produce in the fridge drawers because I forget they're in there. I think I need to buy some clear bins instead to store it so it doesn't look so messy in there.

Anyway, I also keep my veggies and fruit that don't need to be refrigerated on a shelf in my kitchen. This way, I know what I need to eat immediately upon entering the kitchen.


I started to just use up some things in the fridge and make a sandwich the other day. I topped two pieces of whole wheat bread with mustard, a slice of cheddar cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, and hummus. At that point, I looked around and saw that an avocado was in the basket...


And on went half an avocado and sriracha sauce.


Yum! I have to say, this was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had! So good! There was a lot going on but there was a good balance between strong flavors (mustard, sun-dried tomatoes, hot sauce) and not so strong flavors (hummus, avocado, spinach.)

I also had a side of carrots.


Sometimes the best meals are the ones you just stumble upon. Or mistakes you've made.

No comments:

Post a Comment