Monday, November 2, 2009

More Reason to Love IKEA


As part of my new apartment debacle, Nicole and I went to IKEA to pick up furniture for our respective apartments. Let me tell you something - taxicabs have NOTHING on Nicole.

In any case, while we were in the food section (my favorite part of any store) I found these cookies that I had seen on Kath's blog. She raved about them so I had to try them out.


The ingredient list was surprisingly short and pronounceable thus it tasted delicious! Light, crunchy, and only $2.50. They're like graham crackers in alphabet form. So fun!

I decided to put them in my key lime yogurt to make it taste more like pie.


Success! (I also put a LOT more cookies in there than those four) Tasted.like.pie.

I then got the idea to put them into my oatmeal to make some sort of pie concoction.

Because I've been so busy with work, social life, and apartment search/move, I've really been neglecting my health lately. I haven't been working out much, eating terribly, spending lots of unnecessary money, and not sleeping much - although that's mostly due to the pipes in my apartment. Starting today, I'm going to be much better about my health and am going to focus on dropping the few extra pounds I may have picked up in the last month or two :) This is going to be a lot easier now that I actually have kitchen supplies and a shorter commute!

I decided to start the day off right with a hearty and nutritious breakfast. Using the IKEA cookies, I made an apple pie-like oatmeal.

I started by dicing up a Fuji apple and throwing it in a pan with about 2 Tablespoons on water and a healthy dose of cinnamon. Cinnamon is great because not only is it delicious but it also helps lower LDL cholesterol and has a regulatory effect on blood sugar.


I sauteed them for about ten minutes total (while my oatmeal was cooking) and the sugars in the apple came out, making it unnecessary to add any additional sugar to them. I also added another tablespoon of water about halfway in when I saw they were getting a bit dry.


The oatmeal contained:
1/3 cup oats
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup plain soy milk
pinch of salt
1/2 Tablespoon ground flax seeds

Just combine them all in a sauce pan and stir until all of the liquid is evaporated.

I only added about a third of the apples, some IKEA cookies, and a hodge podge of seeds and nuts for extra crunch and nutrients. After finishing it, I remembered that I forgot to add vanilla extract so I recommend also adding about a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the oats. Also, if I make this again, I may substitute the nuts and seeds for peanut butter instead.



Delicious! A great way to kick off Healthy November!

1 comment:

  1. That looks great with the apple! I crushed mine up and put them in some greek yogurt. i loves them.

    ReplyDelete