Monday, November 30, 2009

My Thanksgiving

Hi All!

I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving! I have a lot to be thankful for this year and I love that there is a holiday devoted to giving thanks.

Because my mom had gotten gourmet pecans from Georgia in bulk this year, I decided to try to make a pecan pie from scratch! Including the crust, of course.

I followed Martha Stewart's recipe to a T!


I kneaded the dough a bit then used a rolling pin to make it fit my pie plate with a bit of overhang. I then folded over the crust to make a bit of an edge.



Using my pointer finger and middle finger on my right hand and thumb on my left, I made a (quite uneven) crimped crust.





For the filling, I just made a tiny adjustment to Martha's Pecan Pie recipe. (It was all about the Martha this weekend!)

Ingredients:
4 large eggs
1 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups pecan halves

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees, with rack set in lowest position.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt until smooth.
Mix in pecans.
Pour mixture into chilled pie crust.


Bake until filling jiggles slightly in the center when gently shaken. About 50 to 60 minutes.
Cool pie completely in plate, 5 to 6 hours. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.



I knew that this recipe would come out well considering it required 3 cups of pecans as opposed to 1 cup that most other recipes required.

It was definitely a hit and SOOOOOO easy!


While running errands with my dad, I spotted some ivy creeping up a tree in our front yard. For some reason I was really intrigued and felt I had to capture it on film. Unfortunately, the tree sits on an incline near our very steep stairs and I may or may not have taken a slight tumble while taking the pictures. I am a dedicated photographer, that's for sure!



I never really see a single ivy vine going up a tree. Usually more than one, no?


We then waited for the arrival of Mr. and Mrs. J.


My mom set a beautifully festive table!


And then filled it with deliciousness!


We had Japanese style mustard green beans...


Broccoli casserole...


Candied sweet potatoes...



Stuffing...


Probably my favorite part of the meal.


Turkey from Peking Duck Restaurant...



Looks kind of vulgar, doesn't it?

My dad cut the turkey...


And then my mom promptly took over.



We're both control freaks in the kitchen. :)

My best friend's mom made us a delicious carrot cake! This is my dad's absolutely favorite cake and only Leslie's cake is accepted. Thankfully, at most major events, Leslie is kind enough to make it for us. Sometimes Amy does, too!



My dessert plate of course, had a slice of each baked good.


Sigh...
Another Thanksgiving has come and gone. We missed my brother, Joey, who is hard at work in Seattle designing video games. We wished he could be with us but he will be home for Christmas!
Being Japanese and not having family here in the States, Thanksgiving was always a time for us to have other orphaned Japanese families over. My mom would always make a turkey with all of the trimming so that we would experience the "American tradition." This year, it was just us which makes for an intimate affair but also translates into: more food for Shion. Which, as we all know, is a very good thing. ;) In fact, I'm pretty sure I ate more than Adam and Sonoko combined...
Of course, anticipating a huge Thanksgiving meal, I had went for a run in the morning but I'm PRETTY sure I didn't burn nearly enough calories to justify helping myself to seconds.

But hey - what are holidays for if not for eating excessive amounts of food, right? RIGHT?!

No comments:

Post a Comment