Friday, November 13, 2009

Roasted Maple Acorn Squash


I picked up an acorn squash from the farmer's market the other day. I looked online for a few recipes and found one that involved butter and maple syrup. Sounds like a recipe for me!

Ingredients:
1 acorn squash
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 Tablespoons butter
salt and pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cut acorn squash lengthwise.





I have to tell you, the hardest part was cutting the squash. The skin is REALLY thick and you need a really good knife and some arm strength. I almost gave up on this whole thing because my knife wasn't going through but I persevered.

Scoop out the inside.


Cut each half in half again.

This is the maple syrup I used:


It's a bit too thin for my taste but I figured it would work with this dish. I mostly bought it because the bottle is flask-shaped and fun.

Place squash in baking pan. Add maple syrup, butter, salt and pepper.


Bake for 45 minutes.

I ate it with some spicy turkey sausage and it was the perfect mix. I love putting maple syrup on my bacon and sausage so this was a great combination.

You may think the sausage looks burnt but that's just the way I eat my meat since I'm deathly afraid of eating raw meat. ;)


The syrup isn't supposed to get that black though. I scooped up some of the syrup on the bottom of the pan but decided after I had a bite that it was a little too bitter. So, just FYI, leave the syrup on the bottom of the pan. :)



I have to say, it was a lot of work to cut the acorn squash so I don't know if I'll make it again. My co-worker Erin suggested adding some cinnamon next time, which sounded intriguing.

But it was definitely delicious and a nice autumn side dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment