Thursday, November 19, 2009

The upside and downside of not having a microwave


Newsflash!!!

I don't have a microwave. Yes, it's true. It takes up too much room in my small kitchen and I am convinced that a study will come out in a few years that will tell us those electromagnetic rays are harmful and will cause cancer or something.

And while we're at it, I don't have a TV either. Or internet right now (although hopefully that will be remedied soon) so you can imagine, living on my own has been....peaceful.

I don't miss my microwave because I hardly used it in my old apartment, except to melt chocolate for bon bons, but I had a brief moment last night where I kind of wished I had one. All in all, though, it's made me eat a LOT healthier so no complaints from me!

I was starving when I got home so using some turkey my mom had frozen for me, I made a lovely and simple quesadilla. To "defrost" the turkey, I just added an extra step and sauteed it in a pan with a drop of olive oil. Then I used two whole wheat tortillas, cheddar cheese, and the turkey to make a delicious meal! I added a dollop of plain greek yogurt and HOT SAUCE since I didn't have any salsa on hand.


I think I'm going to use hot sauce from now on since it tasted even better than when I use salsa. Usually the salsa has been sitting in the fridge so it's cold and takes away from the lovely taste of melted cheese :) The hot sauce is a simpler taste and complimented the quesadilla perfectly!


As my vegetable side, I made mustard green beans.



Just boil the green beans (I had a little less than 1/2 pound) for about 7 minutes, cut up into little pieces, toss it into a bowl and add the following mixture:

1 Tablespoon mustard (any mustard will do)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper

You can add a crushed garlic clove and lemon zest as well but I was too lazy and hungry to do it.

Toss it all together.


Yum!!! I think this whole meal took about 15 minutes total to prepare.

It was also a very exciting mail day for me.

My friend Kate sent me this beautiful plate as a housewarming gift! I love it because it has flowers on it but it's still modern and edgy. And it looks so scientific with those numbers! Definitely one of a kind.


And it goes perfectly with my coffee table!



And yes, I still have not decorated my apartment...

Getting this thoughtful gift in my hands though, has been quite a feat. I got home on Sunday afternoon and saw that I had a petite package in my equally petite mail box. I was so excited to get mail that I immediately shrieked and went to take it out. But wait...I couldn't actually get the package OUT. While the mailperson could drop it into the mailbox from the top, the door of the mailbox makes it challenging (okay, impossible) to get it out. I tried to start unwrapping it while it was still in the mailbox but that didn't work since it seemed like the packaging was pretty structured. It was then that I saw there were stickers on the outside and knew it was from Kate!

After about 10 minutes of struggling (and yes, residents of my building were giving me strange looks) I called my super to see if he could help me out. He said that he didn't have the key to the mailbox so he would have to wait until the mailperson came so he could receive the package for himself. It was definitely comical, to say the least!

Just one of the many challenging of New York City apartment living...

I also got this in the mail:


It contained 6 different flavors of instant coffee. I used to drink a lot of instant coffee in Japan so I'm not above drinking it at all.

I know I've shared my love of wisebread.com on this blog before but really, it's sooooo great! You can get all of this free stuff!!! Definitely check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm....I smell a microwave challenge coming on! I don't know how you do it although I agree microwaves are probably bad for us (I guess I'm just lazy!) Made your green beans twice in the past week - LOVE THEM!!!

    ReplyDelete