Thursday, December 3, 2009

Giada's Orzo Salad

I don't have a very large kitchen (although it's just big enough for a one person household) but there are some perks to having a cozy cooking space. For instance, I have a very convenient recipe holder:


I just tack up my recipes with a magnet on my refrigerator! Of course, if I'm using a cookbook, that presents a different problem.


Last night, I made Giada's Orzo Salad. I would normally just give you the link since I didn't make too many adjustments to the recipe but since I took so many pictures, I'm going to just reproduce the recipe here:


Ingredients:


  • 4 cups chicken broth (I used salted water)
  • 1 1/2 cups orzo
  • 1 (15 ounce) can chick peas, drained and rinsed
  • 1 1/2 cups grape tomatoes
  • 3/4 cups finely chopping onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
  • 3/4 cup Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Mix all ingredients by hand or blender. Add more salt and pepper to taste.


Directions:


Pour broth or water into a heavy large pot. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in orzo.

Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer.

Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.


Toss orzo with onion


...with tomatoes...

...and chick peas


....and basil and mint.


I've made this recipe without the mint before (because why buy a whole thing of mint just for this recipe) but I have to say, it really makes a different. I highly recommend just buying it for the recipe. It does wonders!

Toss with the vinaigrette.


Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.

This is a great recipe to make at night to serve the next day. The orzo marinates in the vinaigrette and makes it that much more delicious!

It's always a hit at parties, too!!!

1 comment:

  1. I've made this recipe before a few times - I can attest to the fact that it's always a huge hit!!! :)

    ReplyDelete