Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Made of Cupcakes!

I am a bad food blogger.

Last night, I had two of my friends over for dinner and in the excitement of hanging out with them, I forgot to take pictures of my macaroni and cheese recipe : / Forgive the lack of photo documentation as well as the poor lighting. We had moooood lighting :)

Ashley had requested my mac and cheese and I happily acquiesced as I had been craving it for a few days anyway. I had originally intended to use whole wheat pasta but once at the store, I decided that I wasn't really in the mood for healthy eats. I mean, we're going to eat a pound of cheese so we might as well go all the way.

Ingredients:

1 lb macaroni (whole wheat pasta or otherwise)
2 cups skim milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon butter (I used butter substitute)
11 oz shredded cheddar
2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Boil macaroni under tender but firm.

Whisk together 1/2 cup milk and flour in a bowl.


Pour remaining 1 1/2 cups milk into a large saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. Once warmed, add flour mixture, stirring until thickened. (This happens pretty quickly)

Add butter, cheeses and pepper. Cook until smooth, about 5 minutes.

Drain macaroni and put into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Add cheese mixture and combine well.

Bake for 30 minutes.


Best.macaroni and cheese.EVER!!! I kid you not! And I've made this dish a few times and for whatever reason, my slight adjustments last night it came out deliciously! I don't know if it was the butter substitute, my organic milk, omission of bread crumbs but it was delightful, if I do say so myself :)

I also made some mustard green beans.

Ashley brought over some Buttercup Bake Shop cupcakes for dessert.



We had vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting, pumpkin cupcake, red velvet with cream cheese frosting and my favorite - sour cream spice cupcake - split three ways.

I have to say, out of Magnolia cupcakes, Sugar Sweet Sunshine cupcakes, and Buttercup cupcakes, I would say Magnolia cupcakes may be my favorite, however, it depends on which location it's from...

So I think Sugar Sweet Sunshine may be my absolutely favorite (especially the pistachio flavor) because they are consistently yummy. However, Babycakes also has a special place in my heart. Wow, I've reviewed a lot of cupcakes on my blog! (and clearly, I'm very indecisive when it comes to choosing the best cupcakes)

Eli also presented me with a fabulous houseWARMING gift...


A hug mug from Max Brenners! I have been wanting one for sooooooo long ever since this day but I couldn't justify spending money on another mug - no matter how special. So imagine my delight when I opened my gift!!! Thanks, Eli!

Spencer also got me an herb garden for my apartment and I'm so excited to set it up this weekend! I've always wanted an herb garden so it makes me immensely happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment