Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Apple Pie Part Deux

Sorry I've been so MIA the past few weeks. I've been taking the time to spend time with family, sleep, and do some fun things without having to lug my camera around everywhere. But I missed sharing my experiences with you all, that's for sure!

This past weekend, my friends came over for dinner after a fun afternoon at the MET. If you haven't gone to the MET lately, I highly recommend it as there is a really interesting exhibit about samurai warriors and armor. They had a few rooms dedicated to just sword blades (which all looked the same to me) but after watching a short video on what it takes to MAKE a sword, I appreciated it a lot more. Also, my mom's side of the family were samurai so it was cool to think that maybe some of my ancestors had used some of them :) I know, it's a stretch but it made the exhibit all the more poignant.

I made some delicious nachos (which I will post about later this week.) For dessert, Colette bought an apple pie from Fairway.

We heated it up in the oven for about 10 minutes. Perfect for a cold January night!



It was very yummy! We demolished all but two small pieces among four of us. I'm very proud :) I wasn't sure what to do with the leftovers since I don't have a microwave and it seemed like a waste to turn on my oven just to heat up small slices so I decided to throw it into oatmeal for breakfast! Oh oatmeal, you are so versatile and help me clear out leftovers... I heart you.

I made oatmeal with 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup soy milk, 1/3 cup water, 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds, a teaspoon of vanilla. I left out the bananas since I knew I was adding a lot of apples.

I picked out all the applies and raisins and put it into my oatmeal and it tastes just like Quaker apples and cinnamon instant oatmeal, except a bit healthier. I definitely recommend doing this with any kind of leftover pie. It seemed like a waste to throw away the crust but I guess that's better for my waistline...sigh.


So nice to eat warm oatmeal under the covers to get a winter day started!

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to check out the samurai exhibit, but don't think I'm going to make it :(

    ReplyDelete